Friday 11 December 2020

The No-Fail Gift You Can Literally Give To Anyone And They Are Guaranteed To Love It. No, SERIOUSLY.

I know you probably think I’m going to say something like “a hug” or “tell them that you love them” and yeah, sure, but this is an actual GIFT, too!!!! Three years ago our emotional mascot at EHD, Jess, (she’s so thoughtful) had a great idea for a gift that I coopted and it has become a tradition not only at EHD but something I employ frequently. It’s what we call the compliment vase (or box). No one in the history of time has not liked this gift. Guaranteed.

Here’s how you do it. You buy a cute vase, bowl, or box (because most people like those ANYWAY) and then you type out and print a bunch of compliments (you can also hand write obviously). At work, we would do 3-4 per person for everyone’s birthday. Then you print them out and cut them individually like the fortunes in fortune cookies. You fold them and shove them in the jar. The compliments can be silly (you pull off crop tops better than anyone I know) or serious.

a really good day celebrating ryann and veronica

Before Covid, we would all go to a happy hour and the birthday person would read the compliments out loud and try to guess who it was from. You may have seen this on stories–we laugh and cry and that person walks away feeling more special than they ever have (at least that was my experience). Now you don’t have to read them out loud, it can just be a gift you send and they read it privately, but as I was writing this I think that we are going to do it for Christmas–even with the kids. You can go around in a circle and have each person open their vase and read the compliments and you are GUARANTEED to feel good. And if you know anyone that is celebrating solo this would be an AMAZING gift to make them feel loved.

I don’t know why it’s more special than a card, but it is. I think it’s the act of opening each one and reading it out loud, and listing compliments is actually easier than writing a meaningful card.

This was from my team this year on my birthday, which they snuck into my house (in LA since I was coming to visit) and left it for me. Especially in such a dark year, waking up on my birthday and reading what my team likes about me made me feel seriously incredible. So touched. It was so special and it honestly improved my self-confidence knowing that despite being apart and not being able to have fun together they still really like me. (The feeling is very mutual).

You also don’t have to put it in a cute box or vase, you could put them in a card or even a bowl or mug you have in your kitchen. But I personally think that it makes it even more special to give them a place to store them, that also acts as a nice piece of decor. Your dad who is so hard to shop for still likes compliments. Your co-worker likes compliments. Your neighbors like compliments. EVERYONE likes to be told what people genuinely like about them. They’ll think they are just getting a cute lidded box, and then as they open it they’ll be so surprised and touched by the nice things you’ll say about them.

Arlyn even framed hers and put it in her gallery wall – an idea I meant to steal.

photo by sara ligorria-tramp | from: arlyn’s moody dining room reveal is all about the insane power of paint

So if you are into this idea we figured we’d give you some ideas of boxes or vases that we love. You don’t need to spend a lot, obviously. The gesture is what’s inside. 🙂

1. Varia Sculptural Vase | 2. Holland Vases | 3. Lidded Wood Vessel | 4. Chope Mug | 5. Bella Box | 6. Blakely Pot | 7. Glass Jar w/ Mango Wood & Marble Lid | 8. Black Marble Footed Bowl | 9. Vintage Wood Lidded Vessel | 10. Mini Barro Pot II | 11. Kaya Solid Ceramic Cups by Justina Blakeney® | 12. Clear Glass Box | 13. Roma Vase | 14. Casafina Fattoria Kitchen Canisters | 15. Round Wooden Planter Black

If you have any other ideas like this please share in the comments. And thanks Jess for letting me tell the world about your fantastic idea. 🙂

Opener Image Credit: Photo by Sara Ligorria-Tramp | From: How Sara Created Her First Traditional But Youthful Christmas (With All Target)

The post The No-Fail Gift You Can Literally Give To Anyone And They Are Guaranteed To Love It. No, SERIOUSLY. appeared first on Emily Henderson.



from Emily Henderson https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/thoughtful-gift-idea-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Back Patio Reveal! (+ How Everything’s Held Up To 6 Months Of Portland Weather)

The light at the end of the construction tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every day – we are hoping to be fully blinded by June. So i...