Tuesday 9 February 2021

What Kind Of Plants Make Sense In An Old World Or Victorian Style Home? Ryann Investigates

Plants are windows to the soul. Wait no *checks notes* that’s not right–but they are an aspect of interior design that speaks to the soul. We want our homes to feel lived in if not full of LIFE and what better way to incorporate life than with actual living things? I know I’ve always felt that my home would be complete as soon as I spontaneously procure a green thumb and have a million plant babies, that is until my style went from scandi-minimalist-mid-century to70s-cowgirl-meets-eclectic-old-world-Italian-grandma. Think Brigerton meets The Godfather meets Thelma and Louise with a hint of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. But as my home has gradually emulated this style, I began to realize I had NO clue what kind of plants make sense in my home. The few plants I’ve had over the years seem off amongst my decor so I needed some inspiration:

Right away I began noticing a theme. Bushy, extra leafy type plants are welcome in such a style which totally makes sense–it’s like bringing your grandma’s garden indoors.

photo by yuki sugiura | design by  matilda goad | via house & garden

We all know “old world” or “Victorian” styled homes are often littered with floral patterns and earth tones so it’s interesting that I felt like real plants are hard to place in such a style. It’s counter-intuitive for sure, so after scouring the web and pinning for days, I’ve found there are some specific types of plants that make sense with this style I am trying to achieve in my home. Forget cacti, succulents, and Sansevieria (aka snake plants–I just learned that word too, don’t worry) and instead opt for:

1. Large leaf plants such as Monsteras
2. Blooming plants such as Petite Rose Plants and Cyclamen
3. Extra leafy plants such as ferns, palms, and cast irons

Here are some of my favorites:

1. Kangaroo Fern | 2. Monstera Deliciosa | 3. Minima Monstera | 4. Dwarf Eureka Lemon Tree | 5. China Doll Plant | 6. Vickerman Artificial Rose Plant in Pot| 7. Petite Knock Out® Rose | 8. Kimberly Queen Fern | 9. Cast Iron Plant | 10. Boston Fern | 11. Miniature Rose Bush | 12. Swiss Cheese Plant

I personally love a living plant but I am also not against faux plants as someone who is known to commit plant murder (unintentionally of course). #6 would be so sweet in my dining room but maybe I could learn to keep #7 alive? Also, #1 has my heart.

But wait, there’s more…

photo by owen gale | design by studio squire | via house & garden

Did you know that indoor lemon trees exist? When I found this out I nearly fell over. OF COURSE I need an indoor lemon tree in my home. It makes so much sense and yes, I want my home to always smell like fresh lemons. But trees in general are a great addition to an old world style home. They really bring the outdoors in and make a statement that says, “Of course I have a tree indoors, don’t you?” Although again, someone sans a green thumb like me may have to opt for a faux one.

1. Ficus ‘Fiddle Leaf Fig’ Lyrata | 2. Schefflera Arboricola | 3. Lemon and Lime Citrus Trees | 4. Bamboo Palm | 5. Variegated Pink Lemon Tree | 6. Ficus Lyrata | 7. Artificial Weeping Eucalyptus Tree in Pot | 8. Benjamina Ficus Tree – Popular Indoor Houseplant | 9. Arbequina Olive Tree

So, what do ya think? Can you imagine these plants in a 70s-cowgirl-meets-eclectic-old-world-Italian-grandma style home? (Because that’s an easy style to picture in your head, right??). Let me know what you think and suggestions are welcome. Plant parents, please teach me your ways! xx

Opener Image Credit: Photo by Beata Heuman

The post What Kind Of Plants Make Sense In An Old World Or Victorian Style Home? Ryann Investigates appeared first on Emily Henderson.



from Emily Henderson https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/old-world-style-indoor-plants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Back Patio Reveal! (+ How Everything’s Held Up To 6 Months Of Portland Weather)

The light at the end of the construction tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every day – we are hoping to be fully blinded by June. So i...