Thursday 29 April 2021

What Moms REALLY Want For Mother’s Day (Seriously, We Asked And You Delivered)

Last Friday Emily did a call out on Instagram asking what you Moms out there actually wanted for Mother’s Day. We didn’t want to do a roundup that was dull, off the mark or just like every other guide we’ve seen. Reading all of the feedback was probably the most fun thing I’ve done in a hot minute (excluding going to the beach to watch “the sunset” with my friend in the cloudy, freezing cold and faceplanting after chasing a runaway napkin. But seriously we laughed the whole time at how bad we are at living in LA.) ANYWAY, I couldn’t get enough of your answers! Some were totally understandable, some very surprising, and some actually were the quintessential “mother’s day” ideas. But hey, if you want a robe then a robe you should get. You survived a year in quarantine! With kids! Let ALL THE MOTHER’S HAVE CAKE!

Me Time and Services

  • Alone Time at Home – This was BY FAR the most requested gift from moms with kids that still live at home. Surprising? Not to us when collectively this was likely the most intense year of mothering in our lifetime. I also asked my best friend (mother of a one-year-old) what she wanted this year and said that all she wants her husband and baby out of the house so she can binge Chinese food and watch season two of Broad City on repeat. That sounds like an ideal day if you ask me.
photo by sara ligorria-tramp | from: my girls weekend at the ojai valley inn
  • A Hotel or Airbnb Room Alone – Another big request. I mean who doesn’t want a luxurious room they don’t have to clean, can indulge in whatever activities they want. AND get room service. Bonus points if you pay for them to get a spa service:)
  • A Girls Weekend – Another BIG request. Now that vaccines are here, a girl’s weekend isn’t out the picture this year! So maybe block out a weekend and give your mom (or partner) the time to go spend time with her friends where she doesn’t have to think of anyone but herself.
  • A Massage or Facial – This was the #2 most requested and DUH. I just booked my first since 2019 and I could truly cry thinking about it and I don’t even have kids soooo, ya. It’s a slam dunk. I really love HeyDay for facials which is in LA, NYC, and Philadelphia. Then there’s Massage Envy that has locations all over the US. But honestly, Groupon has incredible spas and is always worth checking out for a great place and a great deal.
  • A Car Detail – I think this is an AWESOME idea but was surprised by how many moms said this. Again Groupon is a great place to go if you don’t have a local favorite. So make your mom some breakfast and go take her car for a makeover. Bonus points for changing the oil and filling it up with gas. But if money is a little tight you could always do it for yourself.
  • House Cleaner – Yep, your wonderful money is SO tired of cleaning 24/7. So even if it’s a one time deal, she will LOVE coming home to a clean house. We used to use Handy for our office and they were great! But a quick search on yelp will give you a bunch of options.
  • Do Her “Get Done” List – Has your mom or partner been asking you or some to fix xyz? Sound familiar?? Well, this Mother’s Day TO IT! Or you can hire someone (Handy and Task Rabbit are great for that too). I promise this will make her extremely happy, heard, and less stressed.

Loungewear

I was really surprised how many moms wanted loungewear and new PJs. But I guess there is something very renewing about a new, pretty set of pajamas and these are the ones you and we love:

1. Washable Silk Tank Set | 2. Siro Draped Jogger | 3. Pima Drape-Back Top + Pima Classic Pant | 4. Beautifully Soft Short Sleeve Pajama Set | 5. The College Sweatshirt + The Cropped Sweatpant | 6. Washable Silk Button Down Pant Set

1. Lunya was the #1 requested loungewear company by far. It makes sense. They are VERY special pieces that a mom might not normally buy for herself. But also… washable silk?? Heck yes! This is a great set for those warm upcoming months.
2. More Lunya and one of Emily’s favorite joggers. Pretty draping and pockets deep enough for your mom’s phone. Win!
3. If your mom is maybe a bit more modest and classic then this is SUCH a pretty set (top and pant). I love how the top has that lovely cross drape that makes it really special.
4. Both Emily and I have this set from Target and love it. I’ve had it for years (in a different color) and is always my first choice if it’s clean:)
5. This is a set (top and bottom) that Emily lives in (or did in the thick of lockdown) and said that she just felt cool in it. Hey, your mom or partner deserves to feel cool too. It’s definitely splurgy but if it’s in your price range is extremely worth it. There’s also a bunch of other colors:)
6. Ok the last Lunya:) This is a BEAUTIFUL option that gives a bit more coverage and honestly looks good that I would wear this out.

Robes

SO many of you just want a nice robe to start and end your days in so here are some great options from both you and us:

1. Solstice Organic Relaxed Robe | 2. Waffle Robe | 3. Lemon Zest | 4. Super-Plush Robe | 5. Women’s Cloud Weave Robe Coat | 6. Beautifully Soft Robe

1. This is my robe and I can’t tell you how much I love it. We all got one for this shoot back in 2018 and it may be one of my favorite (and definitely most used) things I’ve gotten as a gift since I started. 10/10
2. A LOT of the robe requests was this waffle robe from Parachute. It comes in a few other neutral tones and I’m sure it’s very cozy.
3. Do you have a fun mom??? Well then get her a fun robe like this one. PrintFresh is a new company to me but they have a ton of great prints and sizing that goes up to 4X!
4. Now this is Caitlin’s robe that she couldn’t stop talking about for weeks. She loved it so much that she bought one for her mom soon after. So if your mom loves a very plush robe then this is the one for her.
5. Another big follower rec that looks totally wonderful and comes in a variety of colors.
6. You know we love a Target PJ and this is the robe version of that suuuuper soft fabric we can’t get enough of (modal) and this one is under $25.

Skincare

Your mom wants some cool skincare tools! So we will get into those in a minute. But a GREAT thing to do that some moms asked for was just a restock of what they already have. How fun would it be to give her a basket of her hair products or skincare routine. It’s a GUARANTEED great gift! But also a Sephora or Credo (an exclusively clean beauty shop) gift card would be awesome and give her an opportunity to try some new things:) If you or she needs product inspo, here is a post with all of our favorites. Onto the tools:

1. Elite Mirror Ten Brush Set | 2. Trinity Facial Toning Device | 3. Nail Glow Nail Enhancer | 4. LightStim for Wrinkles | 5. The Mani System | 6. Sephora Collection Deluxe Brush Set

1. This was the first time I had heard of this brand but boy do these brushes say luxury! A few moms were VERY excited about them. So if you have a makeup-loving mama and want to splurge, this is a great idea.
2. As a fellow gadget-loving lady myself, this advanced-microcurrent toner is a great gift and was DEFINITELY requested on the call-out.
3. Another item I didn’t know about but really want to try. Basically, this clear “polish” just enhances your mom’s already pretty natural nails. So if she’s not a big nail polish fan but wants her nails to look nice then this is it, folks. Plus it’s under $30!
4. FDA-approved and mom wanted. Light therapy is very popular right now and is a really easy way for your mom to feel a little more confident in her skin. This is a great device to do that!
5. I was NEVER one to do my nails on my own. They were either beautiful or…not. But then I got this kit for my birthday last year and it’s wild how much I love it and love doing my nails now. I’m a changed woman! Olive and June also has a pedi set I am dying for. Both are seriously great gifts.
6. More brushes but at a way more affordable price. I love my Sephora brushes and can totally vouch for their quality.

Jewelry

Here’s the DL on Mother’s Day jewelry. It was split pretty 50/50 on moms wanting nothing to do with their kid’s names or “mom” jewelry and moms who REALLY wanted their kid’s initial(s) on the necks and fingers. So moral of the story…know the kind of mom you are gifting jewelry to. I know that may seem like common sense but I don’t think it is for everyone considering we’ve alllll gotten some “head-scratcher” gifts. Amirght??

Delicate Necklaces and Lockets

Your mom or partner (like the moms who responded) just want a touch of glam that they can wear every day. Delicate gold jewelry is our favorite accessory too! Heck, we even wrote a whole post about it. But let’s get into these first:

1. Personalized Yue Necklace | 2. Mama Necklace | 3. Dollhouse Locket | 4. Paperclip Chain | 5. Bali Antique Locket Necklace | 6. Diamonds Station Necklace

1. For the initial loving moms, this necklace is such a pretty and very delicate option. Even with a few charms, it’s still very simple which I love.
2. This was a requested necklace and while it’s very on the nose, it’s so pretty (and high quality)! Think how sweet this would be, especially for a new mom.
3. STOP. I want this too. Lockets were a big request and so was the shop Catbird, making this a perfect gift. The locket is very small which I think makes it really special.
4. Paperclip necklaces are very on-trend (I have one myself) but they don’t scream “Look how trendy I am!”. Instead they are delicate and are great for layering.
5. From Emily: “I bought this locket for a fashion shoot and am so surprised by how much I love it. Also, Birdie says every day “but mama, when are you going to put a picture of me and Charlie in there?” SOON. It’s just pretty (and $65 is pretty affordable for special sentimental jewelry).”
6. Splurgy but I mean look at it. This necklace so pretty and while it’s not for everyone, I think most moms would LOVE this.

Honorable Mention: Morse code necklaces were mentioned a couple of times and I found this one that I think is really pretty. It’s a secret way to have a personalized piece of jewelry:)

Stacking and Signet Rings

These two styles of rings are what the moms want, people! We got so many answers that specifically asked for stacking and signet rings and these are the ones we all love:

1. Micro Signet Ring | 2. 3 Bold Zoe Set | 3. Twist Ring | 4. Small Heirloom Signet Ring | 5.

1. First off, GLDN was the most talked about jewelry brand in the feedback and I get it, it’s all so pretty. And this ring is both signet AND stacking. Dream team! It is a personalized one though so make sure your mom or partner wants those little initials on their hand at all times:)
2. I LOVE these simple rings and think they are so simple but so chic. Perfect for the casual, no fuss but still stylish mom that isn’t an “initials person”.
3. Elegant, simple but with a twist (pun intended:))
4. Very splurgy but sooo freaking special. I would never take this ring off and a bunch of moms talked about this wonderful shop.
5. Another GLDN pick! This ring is technically “personalized” but instead of an initial, it’s a birth month flower. And maybe instead of a kid’s birth month flower, it’s hers. Juuuust an idea;)
6. Now this is a very cool, chunky signet ring for the mom who likes more of a statement. Also. it’s adjustable so you can’t mis-size her finger. Pretty great right!?

Fashion

Moms also want a little revamp in the accessory department and the #1 request? Birkenstocks! Let’s get to it:

Birkenstocks

1. Arizona Colorblock Sandal | 2. Arizona EVA Sandals | 3. Arizona Torty Big Buckle Sandal

1. Moms are ABOUT this two-toned new look! So many asked for them specifically. They are comfortable and CUUUTE. I love this blue/pink look but also the coral/tan combo is awesome. It was very hard to decide which one to feature.
2. Another specific ask were the plastic (aka waterproof) ones. Y’all this is the perfect summer shoe and it comes in a tone of other colors.
3. Tortise Buckles! Are you kidding me?! These might be my first pair of Birkenstock sandals and I needed you to all know that they exist.

Sunglasses

Sunglasses are a little hard to buy for someone unless they tell you specifically what they want. BUT these are all VERY cute and returns are always possible if need be. But also gift certificates, y’all:)

1. Peyton-104 | 2. RB2448N | 3. Wright

1. Does your mom have a vintage flair? Well, Coco and Breezy have incredibly cool and unique sunglasses. These ones are on the more streamlined/classic side but go check out their site!
2. These are Em’s new favorite sunglasses! And as someone who’s not really a “sunglasses person,” I think that says a lot. Plus they just look cool and timeless.
3. You might know this but Warby Parker has GREAT sunglass options. Plus if your mom needs prescription sunglasses this is a one-stop-shop! How cute are these?

Everyday Purses

Your mom probably needs a new everyday bag (at least that’s the vibe I got from the other moms) Here are our picks:

1. The Canvas Medium Transport Tote | 2. Midi Sac | 3. Eden Carryall

1. Who doesn’t love a Madewell tote?? I love my black leather one but this one is in that GREAT green canvas fabric and would add a little fun to any outfit without overpowering it.
2. Clare V was heavily requested and if looking that this stinking cute bag doesn’t explain why then I don’t know what to say. It’s SO PRETTY.
3. Whenever Em isn’t sporting one of her belt bags, this is her all-time favorite carryall. It’s the perfect size for a laptop but isn’t too big if you need to go from day to night. Plus it’ll last forever which is always a good thing:)

Activities and Fitness

photo by sara ligorria-tramp | from: working the ehd crew out with culligan water

I of course wasn’t super surprised that moms wanted to get their fitness on. BUT when the requests for paddle board kept coming in I was like well damn that is fun and really good to know! So let’s just start off there:

Paddle Boards

I’ve only been paddle boarding once but I really loved it so I see why the moms want to paddle all summer long. What I love about these options is that they all come with paddles! So you don’t have to worry about piecing everything together. But do a little research but sadly I am not a paddle board expert…yet.

1. PathFinder Inflatable SUP Stand-up Paddleboard Set | 2. Pau Hana Malibu Classic Stand Up Paddle Board with Paddle | 3. Boardworks SHUBU Solr Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board with Paddle

1. This inflatable guy is highly rated and very affordable considering the research I’ve done. Plus it comes with a pump!
2. So this one is solid and weighs about 31 lbs but is apparently VERY durable and your mom doesn’t have to spend any time inflating.
3. This is another great inflatable option to check out! It is more expensive than the first one so I would just make sure your mom really wants to get into paddle boarding:)

Fitness

Paddle Boarding wasn’t the only fitness-related item on our mom’s wishlist. Let’s get into the main ones:

1. Peleton Bike | 2. Aaptiv Subscription | 3. Theragun

1. Peleton is still the king (or Queen) of the at-home fitness world. It’s a splurge but if your mom or partner has been begging for one I think you would be the favorite:)
2. A few moms just wanted a fitness subscription and our favorite is Aaptiv! It’s super approachable and fun. Very affordable and something that she would actually use (if she wants it of course).
3. Whether your mom is really working those muscles or just suffers from aches and pains, a Theragun is SUCH a good gift. I got one for my dad for Christmas and it was his favorite gift. He uses it all of the time.

Tools

Power Tools

My heart sang with how many moms want power tools this year. They are ready to DIY their hearts our and we can’t wait to see what they do! If you also want to start building your tool kit but don’t know where to start here is a post just for that.

1. RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless 6-Tool Combo Kit with (2) Batteries, Charger, and Bag | 2. 15 Amp Corded 12 in. Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw, Blade Wrench & Material Clamp | 3. RYOBI 1,600 PSI 1.2 GPM Electric Pressure Washer

1. Talk about a really awesome starter kit! RYOBI is a great brand for beginners because its price point is great without sacrificing quality. Also HOT TIP: Having your power tools from the same brand makes it so can use the same battery for multiple tools. It’s a win-win!
2. Lots of asks for miter saws and this one has over 4.5 stars with almost 3,000 reviews. So do with that what you will:)
3. Who doesn’t want a power washer?? They are so useful and it’s sooooo satisfying to see how much dirt they can remove. This was a real request, I promise (and I love it)

Decor (But Really Art)

photo by sara ligorria-tramp | from: a modern and organic dining room makeover
  • Vintage Art – So many moms asked for vintage art and WE GET IT. Vintage art is so special but also veeeeery personal. So if you know your mom or partner’s style then go for it and here is an Etsy resource post to get you started. Also, Chairish is great for vintage art (and haggling:)). But if you have no idea then a gift card to either Etsy or Chairish would be a dream. You could also plan to take them to a Flea Market with the promise of a paid for piece of art! FYI the Rose Bowl is happening on Mother’s Day for anyone near LA.
  • Original Art – Second to vintage was original art. Our favorites are Uprise Art, Tappan, Saatchi Art, and Minted (these are prints but beautiful). Don’t forget that gift cards are your friends!
photo by sara ligorria-tramp | from: how we designed our super kid friendly family room
  • Framed Kid’s Art – Moms (Emily too) love displaying their kid’s art but in a pretty way. So find a piece you think she’ll love nicely framed and go to either your local frame shop or Framebridge. But also Target or Ikea (we love the RIBBA frames) are great too and we use them a lot.
  • Professional Photo Session – We’ve talked about this before but a lot of moms just want some nice family photos. So get on the google machine and find a great photographer so she can stare at the wall her beautiful family is on as much as she wants.
  • Digital Photo Organization – And in the same vein as family photos, a free thing you could do that the moms asked for would be to organize all of the photos on her computer. It’s time-consuming but would be SO nice to do for her.

Candles

Funnily enough, A LOT of moms said they really DO love candles and that makes me happy as I have been trying to fill the beautiful shoes of one Sara Tramp as the EHD candle lover. Here are six candles that are truly incredible and I would be so happy to receive:

1. Tatine Forest Floor Glass Candle | 2. Palo Santo 14 Classic Candle | 3. Paddywax Palo Santo Suede | 4. Redoux Candle “529” | 5. Paddywax Parks – Glacier | 6. Tatine Garden Mint

1. I blame Sara for turning me onto this candle company. Every scent is heaven and this one is no different. This candle just makes you feel special.
2. A splurgy classic that I will never tire of. Le Labo knows how to make a beautiful scent and this one is earthy and wonderful.
3. This is a new one I just got, love and it’s only $24! It’s light but masculine and I’m already sad knowing it will be done soon. O and the shape of the vessel is so cool!
4. Welcome to my summer candle (that I burn year-round). This one is brighter but has a ton of depth and ultimately is just really unique. I LOVE it so so much.
5. I originally got this gem at Whole Foods and when it was done immediately ordered it again. It’s fresh and makes you feel like you are in the woods.
6. I HAD to call out one more Tatine candle. This was the first one I smelled at Sara’s and I don’t know how to describe it but it changed how I felt about candles forever. Basically, it started my sickness.

Ok that’s it! You made it! What do you think? Do you agree? Now we of course HIGHLY value thoughtful gifts over material things so here is a post FULL of ideas in that category. But sometimes a nice robe is really just…nice. I think in addition to maybe one of these gifts, your mom or partner just wants to be told they are doing a good job. Even in the best of relationships, we can forget to say how much we appreciate everything our loved ones do for us. So even though all of you aren’t our moms, we want to say that you are doing A GREAT job. This past year was mind-blowingly hard and the fact that you are still here standing is honestly a big deal. Happy early Mother’s Day<3

Love you, mean it.

Opening Image Credits: Photo by Sara Ligorria-Tramp | From: EHD At-Home Spa DIYs with Culligan

The post What Moms REALLY Want For Mother’s Day (Seriously, We Asked And You Delivered) appeared first on Emily Henderson.



from Emily Henderson https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/what-moms-really-want-for-mothers-day-2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Back Patio Reveal! (+ How Everything’s Held Up To 6 Months Of Portland Weather)

The light at the end of the construction tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every day – we are hoping to be fully blinded by June. So i...