Friday 29 January 2021

Ask The Audience: How To Design Now For Your Future Teens

We have younger kids now (5 and 7) but word has it that they’ll eventually grow up to look like they do above (you are welcome for this weekly dose of EHD creepy photoshopping). You all were so helpful with the ‘how to design for rainy weather‘ last week that I thought I’d try another one. The other day my brother’s architect, Annie, off-handedly said that teenagers don’t like sitting in dining booths as if everyone knew this. This was news to me… like WHY? I thought everyone liked to sit in booths. Is it the lack of independence? The having to ask someone to get out so you can get out? I didn’t know! Then earlier this week a lot of you chimed in that our kids would NEVER do homework in the upstairs landing which I totally understood, but wouldn’t have known. So with the world renovating right now, it seemed like there is a lot of information that those of us with small kids could use, to help us design the best home long-term for our aging family (remind me never to say ‘aging family’ again). What else am I not thinking about? (By the way, the kids are in a Peter Pan phase and at first, REALLY didn’t like the above photo because they don’t want to grow up, but then wanted to see it like 10 times and were laughing hysterically by the end – excited to talk to their future therapist about this one!).

photo by sara ligorria-tramp | from: the dining room built-in dilemma (+ the 3 mistakes we made)

For instance, with toddlers, you really want open cubbies for toys so they can see them, but now that the kids are older we all like more closed storage that is easy to access. I’ve heard that kids shouldn’t be in full beds or it will make transitioning into a twin bed (in dorm rooms) difficult which I had never thought about (and frankly I’m unsure about – we are Team Big Bed over here). When renovating do you think about them sneaking out? What about their need for privacy? How much privacy? How about the fact that we’ll have two kids of the opposite gender sharing a bathroom. Any advice for that?

photo by sara ligorria-tramp | from: a refresh of our favorite “child client’s” – bedroom 8 years later

You know how older folks don’t like sitting in ‘lounging sofas’, are there types of furniture that teenagers tend to like or dislike that you can’t predict until you have them?

I’m not down to placate my kids, coddle them with an easier life they already were given, but if there are warnings or ways to improve my life as their mom, well, I’m listening. Here we go:

  1. Size and location of beds – I’ve heard that kids like being in a corner – is this true for older kids? Is a twin or full or queen preferred?
  2. Locks on doors – seriously at what age, if any, is that something that is offered?
  3. Closets + clothes storage – Will teens actually hang up their clothes? or should we design the closets to be more drawers and shelves?
  4. Are there considerations we should think about for the media/family room? Like should we wire for more stuff than just a TV? Will they continue to rub popcorn all over our sofas until they graduate?
  5. Bedroom Location – Most pressing right now (and not something I can change) is the fact that our bedroom is in a different ‘wing’ than the kids and that makes me nervous (both for them and for me). Please tell me I won’t regret this and that in fact long-term I’ll be psyched that we each have more privacy. By the time we move in, they’ll likely be 6 and 8 and I’m hoping they’ll be fine, but I’d love for any of you to confirm that this is a good choice because I’m nervous about being so far away from them.

Any tips would be super helpful. Again we only want to do this once and I don’t want to miss anything! Ha. Teen Charlie and Eillot are extremely grateful for making their (and their parents) lives a little better:) xx

Opening Photo Credits: Photoshop Skills by Julie Rose🙂 | Image Source

The post Ask The Audience: How To Design Now For Your Future Teens appeared first on Emily Henderson.



from Emily Henderson https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/ask-the-audience-how-to-design-now-for-your-future-teens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Back Patio Reveal! (+ How Everything’s Held Up To 6 Months Of Portland Weather)

The light at the end of the construction tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every day – we are hoping to be fully blinded by June. So i...