Saturday 3 July 2021

We All Tested Emily’s All-Time Favorite Hair Tool And This Is How It Went

When Emily gets excited about a product and HIGHLY recommends it, like most of you, we are equally as excited and curious to try it! I mean after all, we were fans of Em before we were employees:) So when Emily got her hands on The Mermade Hair Waver which is essentially is a 2021 modern-day crimper (but wildly better) I think all of us secretly were scheming to get our hands on one. But Em, being the extremely generous boss that she is, beat us to the punch and offered to pay for us to try one (there are a couple of brands that have them) so we could do a fun post about it. And guess what? This is that fun post! So here are our real deal reviews.

But first, let’s get into your different options:

1. Mermade Hair 32mm PRO Waver | 2. Aima Beauty 32mm (1.25″) Triple Ceramic Curling Iron | 3. Double Ceramic Triple Barrel Waver | 4. CHI x Barbie 1.25” Triple Barrel Titanium Deep Waver | 5. amika High Tide Deep Wave Hair Crimper | 6. Tidal Hair Waver

Now we have only tried #1 and #2 on our hair. But all of the other ones have at least 4 out of 5 stars on their reviews. #1 is The Mermade that Emily has and truly loves. It’s under $100 but if you want a less expensive option then go for #2 and #3. The most expensive is #5 at $120 which to be honest I’m not sure why but it’s well-reviewed and I want to give you all the options. Basically, there’s a hair waver for everyone:)

Ok, you have your tool options. Now let’s get into Emily’s tips and tricks…

Emily

Ok, so it’s definitely big but don’t be nervous. It’s not scary once you start using it and the results are worth it:)

Matching the wave is VERY important but also very easy. You just want to be careful about those crease lines so tilt the top slightly away from your head. Then BAM, awesome hair in a few minutes (granted I’ve really gotten the hang of it and also have short hair, so it would likely take more time on longer and thicker hair)

So yes, I LOVE this tool a lot. Especially for summer, I feel like a lot of people want an effortless, beachy wave and this achieves that so well. But like Jess said, I wanted to let the other EHD gals try it out and see if they felt the same since no one head of hair is alike:) Let’s see what they have to say for themselves!

Ryann

I joked the first time I tried the Mermade tool that it made me look like Alanis Morisette. Tbh, I don’t think I am far off?? But in all seriousness, I don’t think this tool is the most effective one for my hair a few reasons. 1) I have extremely thick hair that does not hold curls well even if I douse it in hair spray (which I don’t want to ever do). And 2) Since I have thick hair, curling it with a hot iron takes A VERY LONG TIME. The after photo you see above was took me about 25 mins and I really rushed through it if I am being honest. If I did it properly it would probably take about an hour which is just not productive IMO. I am pretty sure I get better results when I just sleep with braids in my hair. BUT THAT’S JUST ME. I think the Mermade tool is best for anyone who has thinner, short to medium length hair, but the EHD gals told me I look very cute so that made me feel good:)

Mallory

Okay so originally I bought the SMALL Amazon waver hair tool which is much cheaper than the OG Mermade tool (which is great since I was 50/50 about how it would look on my hair so I didn’t want to invest a ton). I learned a huge lesson from this first tool: SIZE MATTERS. I had accidentally bought the 26mm and not the 36mm and boy is there a difference. The 26mm made my hair look way more crimp-y and very Cleopatra-esque which would be great for a 90s party but was a little much for me every day. I then ordered the 32mm once I realized my mistake and things really turned around for me. Well until I learned another valuable lesson….use heat protectant!!! I signed up to destroy (I mean bleach) my hair back in high school, so I can’t say I’ve got the healthiest keratin in the game. I was kind of just living with the fact that my hair was going to break off so I never used heat protectant — until I used this tool and it actually really started breaking off. No one else on the team had this issue (probably because they were smart and actually used a heat protectant like their hairstylists say) but be warned: if you’re like me with unhealthy, dry, and kinda damaged hair USE HEAT PROTECTANT and then all will be okay.

Here are a few recs from us and our hairstylists:

1. Bb.Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat/UV Protective Primer | 2. Briogeo Farewell Frizz Blow Dry Perfection Heat Protectant Cream | 3. OUAI Heat Protection Spray | 4. Oribe Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray | 5. ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Aging® Perfect Iron Spray | 6. UNITE Hair 7SECONDS Detangler

Also, sorry if that scared you — you should also know on a less intense note that I actually love how quickly I can do my hair (and have it look good). I almost never styled my hair before I got this and now I style it all the time — and in under 5 minutes!!! This thing honestly rocks and is totally worth the money (especially if you get the cheaper Amazon one) I love this thing!!!

Jess

Finally my dreams of becoming Ariel after watching The Little Mermaid 1,500,062 times as a child are getting closer and closer. Ha, well sort of… so big hair tools are VERY intimidating to me and this one is definitely a big boy! But practice makes perfect. Now, Em and Mal were the first ones to try this waver out and their hair looks SO CUTE. But they both have shorter hair so I wasn’t convinced it would have the same fate for my long, thin hair. The first time I tried the real deal Mermade brand tool I looked like I was going to Homecoming in 2006… it was pretty funny but not my ideal look in 2021. However, what I realized (and Mal told me later too) was that I had the wrong start height. I was way too high up for my length! To avoid this early-aughts look, I needed to start it right below the eye like I did in the right photo. Muuuuuch better. I’m still getting the hang of it but like the look of the more horizontal waves. Feels a bit fresher and beach-ier than what I was doing before the pandemic.

a little sneak peek from our last shoot and photo by miss veronica crawford:)

I think this photo maybe sells it more? It’s a little more relaxed after a couple of hours which I prefer:)

Ha! you thought I was done talking.

Now, you really want to make sure that you hold the top of the tool tilted away from the top edge of your hair or else it WILL leave a crease and not the one you want (as you can see on the left). The good news though is that you can always give it another go and smooth it over a bit:) All in all, if you are not really a hair person like me but want to try something different I think this is a really great option! Just don’t give up too easily and play with it. We can do this together:)

So that’s all folks! A new hair too (to us at least) that most of us really love. Have any of you tried one of these? Any other tricks or tips? Or is there maybe another awesome hair tool we should know about? Let’s talk!

Opening Image Credits: Photo by Sara Ligorria-Tramp | From: After Three Years We Can Actually Use Our Upper Deck (Because We Finally Have The Right Outdoor Furniture…And Fabric)

The post We All Tested Emily’s All-Time Favorite Hair Tool And This Is How It Went appeared first on Emily Henderson.



from Emily Henderson https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/mulitple-hair-types-hair-waver-review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Back Patio Reveal! (+ How Everything’s Held Up To 6 Months Of Portland Weather)

The light at the end of the construction tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every day – we are hoping to be fully blinded by June. So i...