Friday 6 August 2021

All the Vintage Stuff I’ve Bought For The Farm Already – Lets Go Thrifting :)

Every Saturday morning I get up early and with a hot cup of coffee in hand and in a silent house I settle in to jump on the internet and sift, shop, and troll for used goods. I have things I’m looking for, sure, but I also just love the hunt with the chance of finding something worth buying (and coordinating) from afar. But I learned my lesson with the cat chaise, and seeing something in person might be “important”, and yet there are some things that are worth the risk of buying off of photos. So it’s show-and-tell day, featuring the things I’ve pulled triggers on for the farm because they simply were “must-haves” (spoiler – they aren’t really).

A Step Ladder That I Totally Need

Obviously, we need a step stool for the kids to reach to brush their teeth … so why not get a shaker one in a totally random shape that we can hang on a peg rail? You know I love a sculptural weird chair, and I just couldn’t resist this. It was $70 + shipping ( and yes, shipping basically doubled the price). But boy do I love it. I found a few similar ones if you are ALSO in need of a weird likely rarely used but cool shaker step stool.

1. Long Handle Step Stool | 2. Shaker Step Stool | 3. Shaker Stool

Four Cafe Chairs That I Know I Can Find A Spot For

We have a love/hate relationship with our vintage Cherner chairs – they are so creaky and squeaky. They echoed so bad in the morning that I couldn’t sit in them for fear of waking up the kids (and turns out I’m crazy sensitive to noise which I didn’t realize until living up here). So my plan is to use the Cherner chairs in the sunroom, but not for our daily eating which meant I could shop for some other dining chairs. Now, listen, there is a 50/50 chance that these are also really creaky and squeaky and that I’ll regret this purchase and have to endure Brian’s passive-aggressive noises when he sits in them, but they were on Craigslist for all four for $150 so I felt it was a great risk.

I LOVE a vintage Thonet (or similar to Thonet, not sure). I love the whimsy of the bentwood and these even are upholstered so I’m hoping they’ll be comfortable!!! Of course, we’ll likely redo the vinyl at some point, but it looks pretty darn great to me and that was a VERY good price. The sellers dropped them off at my brother’s house and so I might have him do a story where he sits in them and assesses the squeakiness. But my brother is BIG (and he HATES delicate chairs, understandably) so maybe I’ll have his wife Katie do it instead. 🙂

1. 1980s Vintage Thonet Arm Chairs – Set of 4 | 2. 1 of 3 Vintage Thonet Style Armchair Made by Mundus F. Bobic Varazdin | 3. Thonet Style Chair, Bentwood Chair, Classic Arm Chair | 4. 1 of 4 Vintage THONET Bentwood Armchairs | 5. 1 of 3 Vintage Thonet Dining Chairs / Bentwood and Rattan | 6. 1 of 3 Vintage Thonet Dining Chairs / Bentwood and Rattan

A French Primitive Milking Stool, Obviously.

As I was writing this post Charlie looked over and said “why are you buying a stool cut in half?”. It made me laugh hard because I’m so used to loving milking stools that it didn’t even occur to me that of COURSE it looks like a 1/2 stool. Now, do I need a french primitive milking stool? My first thought was “no” but then I immediately pictured our bathroom, next to the tub, housing all my spa stuff (and a big old branch), and immediately put it in my cart. To Charlie’s point, it IS a 1/2 a stool, for $80 + shipping. But I love the whimsical legs and of course the joinery on top. I need to strip it and clean it up a bit but it will be coming to a photoshoot near you soon (like, in a year).

1. Vintage French Wooden Plain Three Legged D Stool | 2. Vintage Small French D Stool | 3. Vintage Wooden French Found Small Three Legged D Stool | 4. Wooden Brown Wood Small Chair | 5. Vintage French D Stool Traditional Milking | 6. French Stool with 3 Legs

Small Original Paintings

Charlie also saw me eyeing this mushroom painting and he was like “why would you buy a painting of a vegetable” which also made me LOL. He is NOT a big fan of vegetables (or paintings, really) so I suppose this is confusing to a 7-year-old boy. I think that is precisely why I like still lifes – they take something benign and make them SO IMPORTANT by painting them with such precision. Anyway, it’s going to go in our kitchen or pantry and I love it (it was $22 on Etsy, I believe).

Ok. So I’ve been told that portraits of dead people are creepy. I like them personally, but I appreciate the overwhelming feedback and don’t really want to creep out my house guests. So I figured I’d try to shift my collecting into portraits of pets (yes, also likely dead). As I’ve been collecting them I’ve realized why they make me smile – someone loved their pet SO MUCH to either take the time to paint them or they commissioned an artist to do so. I mean I get it, I take like 30 photos of my pets a day so if that wasn’t an option you bet I’d want someone to paint them. It just makes me laugh and smile and I want to cover our WC or hallway in them. This one wasn’t cheap ($75) but I do love it – he’s so emotional!! Honestly, all of them on the internet are so expensive so this might be something I have to scour antique malls instead.

ALSO – I do want to commission an artist to Victorian oil paintings of Bearcat and Mimi if anyone knows anyone. And no, not a normal pet portrait something that feels more serious and old world like this (mostly because I think it’s funnier – like they are actually posing for their big shot).

I bought that lady at the Sacramento Antique Mall a couple of months ago – So regal. So serious. SO IMPORTANT.

1. 1950s Dutch – Vintage Cat Portrait Oil | 2. Vintage Early C20th Watercolour of a Pair of Boxer Dogs | 3. Antique 1920s Beautiful Jack Russell Terrier Dog Portrait Painting | 4. Dachshund Painting Original Oil on Canvas | 5. Small Scottish Terrier Painting| 6. 1939 Horse Portrait Oil Painting in Thick Mahogany Frame 

Fine, One Creepy Dead Guy Portrait

I think it’s just a matter of lack of self-control. This man is good and just felt so period appropriate to the house. I do sincerely regret selling so many of my past dead man portraits (don’t worry I still have some) but when I found him for $30 on Etsy (cheap because it’s charcoal?) I literally couldn’t resist.

1. Antique Art Charcoal Portrait Drawing | 2. Vintage Pastel Portrait Of A Black Woman | 3. Signed & Framed 1884 Charcoal Drawing | 4. Antique 19th Century Original Charcoal Portrait Drawing | 5. Civil War Portrait Photographic Charcoal Framed | 6. Antique Chalk a Charcoal Portrait

What I Came THIS CLOSE To Buying, But Didn’t And Now I’m Sad

Ugh. I LOVE these side tables/nightstands. They are classic yet rustic, but not too shabby chic. They have these adorable little feet, pretty leg joinery, and the perfect amount of patina. They were on 1stDibs for $2k + $500 shipping and It just felt like too much when I haven’t even started shopping in person. So they got snagged by someone else, and that’s ok as the daily taunting of their availability was cruel and Brian was sick of hearing about them. I even looked up the maker to see if I could track them down more affordable ones over the next 6 months but the maker made very few things.

1. Shaker Style Cherry Bench Made 1 Drawer Nightstand | 2.  Shaker Style Table | 11. Shaker Inspired Nightstand

These two were in Portland for $50 and I SHOULD have snagged them. But instead, I insta-storied about them and a reader grabbed them (which actually made me very happy). GREAT steal (but no, I didn’t need them).

1. Two Oak Folding Chairs | 2. Pair of Vintage Wooden Folding Chairs | 3. French Midcentury Wood Folding Chair, 1970

Lastly I love strange architectural tables that are sculptural and just odd. I believe this is a smoking table – (I think?) I didn’t snag it and now it’s gone and I’m sad and life will never be the same until I find another version of it and then life has meaning again.

We are moving up August 20th and while I need to “move-in” and “get settled” all I want to do is drop the kids off at school and go thrifting and shopping for vintage things I don’t need quite yet, but make me VERY HAPPY. I’m not alone, right? HAPPY WEEKEND AND TGIF EVERYONE!!!

The post All the Vintage Stuff I’ve Bought For The Farm Already – Lets Go Thrifting :) appeared first on Emily Henderson.



from Emily Henderson https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/farmhouse-vintage-haul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Back Patio Reveal! (+ How Everything’s Held Up To 6 Months Of Portland Weather)

The light at the end of the construction tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every day – we are hoping to be fully blinded by June. So i...