Saturday 7 August 2021

What We’d Buy If Money Were No Object – Let’s Fantasize

I spend equal time on 1stDibs as I do on Craigslist, shopping for, well anything worth pulling the trigger on. The strategy is to identify what I love (and what design elements make it so desirable) then find a version of it more affordably on all the other sites (including Chairish, Etsy, eBay, FB marketplace, and Craigslist). I use one site for inspo on both new and vintage, and the other sites for actually pulling triggers (or maybe not). It’s F.U.N. and I literally can NOT wait to get up to Oregon and shop in person (not just in Portland, we are talking day trips around the state to good vintage malls). That being said, we all saw the photo of Richard Branson and Elon Musk standing in front of Bransons’ kitchen in one of his rental houses. The internet blew up with the debate about how billionaires spend their money. I’m endlessly interested in this topic of how people spend their money and how we place value on, well, anything. So we were chatting about it on Zoom – the idea of having a billion dollars to decorate – and I think Caitlyn asked me what I would buy? This obviously spawned a fantasy conversation and one that we thought would be fun to share. And while I try to not have judgments on how people spend their money, especially two rich white dudes, I do think if I had that much I would want all the incredible artists, makers, and small vintage dealers out there to feel the love and yes, to also make money for their years of hard work and creativity. With that said this is what we all chose.

Emily

BBDW Abel Sofa

I’ll never not want this sofa (or the sectional version of it). It’s the perfect “classic with some edge” that I’ve been coveting for about 10 years. It’s from BBDW and while I don’t know the exact price (you need to have all materials and the size chosen) I think it’s like $30-35k. Those legs. Those arms. I don’t resent the fact that I can’t have it. Instead, I look for why I love it and try to find those details in less expensive versions. I love that it has a single-seat, that the tufts are minimal and yet bring in that classic feel, and that the arms and legs have been highly considered and designed. So now when I shop for sofas I look at all the little details, not necessarily the bold gestures to see how something like a carved arm can send it over the edge of awesomeness.

Splint Peg Cabinet

I just discovered this modern Shaker furniture maker in Maine, and I was delighted that she is a woman. Heidi’s pieces are so beautiful, handcrafted, heirloom-quality, and a modern twist on the Shaker style we all love. That hanging cabinet starts at $11k and when I read that my first response was “oh shit, good for you, Heidi” and not in a snarky way. I’m genuinely happy that she is valuing her work high and that clearly there is a market for it. It also has re-inspired me to look for more affordable versions and guess what, I’ve found them 🙂

Papa Bear Chair

I will also never NOT love a Papa Bear. It’s a whimsical version of a wingback (and I LOVE a wingback) boasting comfort, in a more upright position (verses sinking in too much, something I’ve realized I only love in TV rooms). It’s extremely classic in the Scandinavian style and while it is definitely being knocked off with affordable versions, I’ll wait till I can find an original. Hey Dave (MidCenturyLA) I’m looking at you 🙂 It’s the big modern hug, in a healthy scale that just draws you in to read.

Bear Armchair

Now for one that is new. I think you can tell I’m really into comfortable and whimsical furniture. I’m a massive fan of Pierre Yovanovitch, the french architect and designer. These Papa Bear and Mama Bear chairs make my eyes so happy. If these were designed “wrong” they could be pretty darn silly looking, but the proportions and the finishes make it a happy little family. I couldn’t find a price, but I know that his dining chairs start at $15k each so I’d imagine these are, well, you can imagine. Hopefully, it’s not something that is knocked off. While I want design to be democratized (and the internet has sure helped) when you see the exact copy of something like this, mass-produced with far cheaper materials and craftsmanship, I get a little bit sad. Speaking of, did you see CB2’s collaboration with Paul McCobb? He’s one of my favorite designers EVER and they’ve done a great job of recreating some of his classics, but in collaboration with his estate which I appreciate.

I first saw Adam Pogue‘s artwork in a retail store in LA 4 years ago, as the dressing room curtains. I immediately DM’d him telling him that I’m a huge fan and I’d love to talk (he followed me and we have a lot of friends in common). I’ve tried to commission him for a while, but he is super busy doing large collaborations with Commune and likely other really high-end clients and as an artist, he can only take on so much work which I totally get. But I LOVE his work and its inspired me to start collecting vintage plaids and Japanese Boro to try to get this hand-sewn, quilted textile art look, inspired by him, but in an EHD way.

Jess

design by 6a architects | via remodelista

BDDW Wall Tiles

The one kinda unexpected thing that makes me hold my breath for a split second every time I see them in a space are these tiles from BDDW (after working here for almost 5 years Em has very much rubbed off on me:)). I think they are incredibly magical and if I were to ever buy a house (the real pick) and have endless money to spend on it to customize every freaking inch (the real REAL dream) then these puppies would go in there faster than a Beyonce concert selling out. I don’t know how much they are but I know that my bank account will likely never warrant this purchase. But who knows?! Maybe someday far far in the future.

Tove and Edvard Kindt-Larsen Cabinet

“I want you, I need you, oh baby, oh baby” but take out Julia Stiles’s sarcasm but every word is earnest. This vintage (and sadly now unavailable) cabinet is so incredible. It’s graphic but natural, simple yet interesting. A definite forever piece that could really work with any style giving whatever space it’s in a huge dose of special. Next time it’s available and I have $19,000 dollars to spare that baby is mine.

design by gacho studios | photo by nicole franzen

Untitled Blue Tines

I first saw this piece of art when I was doing research for an “unexpected wall art” post. I fell in love instantly and it’s been in the back of my head ever since. I love how graphic it is and the awesome visual impact it has. I love that it’s 3-D and made of wood, giving it some warmth and texture. And lastly, I love the colors. Now I don’t know how much this piece is but since the prices aren’t listed I’m going to take a wild guess that it’s most certainly in the “probably not ever Miss Bunge” price range. But again who knows?????

Ryann

19th Century Stained Pine Sofa

I am deeply attracted to this sofa. It reminds me of an old church pew but mixed with sexy Victorian era curves it’s so unexpected and spectacular, and the mustard upholstery color is 10/10. The price is not listed but I found it via Dorian Antiques so I can make an educated guess that it’s way out of my price range. Maybe someday, sweet sexy sofa. Maybe someday.

via atelier vime

Paravent Fish Scale Screen

Here’s why I felt compelled to add this to my list: If I did have unlimited funds I could see spending big bucks on furniture and art. But if money truly were no object, I WOULD spend high dollar on this wicker screen by Atelier Vime even though it’s so extra. It’s listed here for over $8,000 and the special woven detail is just divine. Plus, you all know how I feel about wicker.

Mallory

home of martina mondadori sartogo | photo by miguel flores-vianna | via architectural digest

Easy Edges Wiggle Side Chairs

These Frank Gehry chairs will never not be cool. I’m SO into how these bad boys look, but at a cool $11,000 it’s probably not in the cards. They look so epic in photos though and I love how sculptural they are!! If anyone wants to get one for me I wouldn’t be upset.

Solana Chaise

It’s always a little intimidating when you have to “request trade pricing” on a really cool piece of furniture. Like, to me, that basically just means it’s at least a couple thousand…but man if I had an ethereal couple thousand dollars I would spend it on this lounge chair or really anything from Cuff Studio

Lea

via soho home

Vivienne Modular Sofa

I love whites on whites on whites so when I first saw this Vivienne modular sofa by SOHO Home I fell instantly in love with its curves, texture, and those feet!

Caitlin

HOW DO YOU EVEN PICK? (Like, guys, my Chairish favs are filled with $2,000 busts of dogs wearing hats and $13,000 dining chairs.) But if someone handed me a wad of cash today, this brass dresser (which I will not link, because I am scared that one of you will scoop it!!!) is without a doubt the first thing I’d buy. It’s not technically super out of reach – it’s priced at $3,600 which is by no means cheap, but is hopefully manageable with planning – so I’ve been working to save up for the last few months. This is the only thing I don’t totally love about vintage – you can either pay up front and get what you want now, or you can just put it a wish out in the ether and hope to one day come across your dream piece at the price you can afford. In any case, please send positive vibes my way as I try to gather enough funds to grab this before someone else does!!!

Arlyn

design by studio collective | via design hotels

Oo Lamp

From the first time I laid eyes on Eny Lee Parker’s lamps, they were cemented into my “one day if I ever had $5,000 to blow” dream design list. I’ve long had an affinity toward special lighting. At one point, I had four table lamps stashed in a corner of an apartment just waiting for their time to shine. But this lamp, oh boy. It wouldn’t have to wait a moment before I made it the star of a room. It’s quirky, artistic, special. When a decor item doubles as a work of art, you know you’re in business. I’ve seen her release limited edition colors like deep emerald green, for instance, and I promise you, my heart almost stopped. One day…

Now that you know our secret longings, we want to hear yours. Spill the deets down below. xx

Opener Image Credit: Design by The Brooklyn Home Company | Photo by Matthew Williams | via BDDW

The post What We’d Buy If Money Were No Object – Let’s Fantasize appeared first on Emily Henderson.



from Emily Henderson https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/if-money-were-no-object-decor-purchases

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Back Patio Reveal! (+ How Everything’s Held Up To 6 Months Of Portland Weather)

The light at the end of the construction tunnel is getting bigger and brighter every day – we are hoping to be fully blinded by June. So i...